Frequently Asked Questions for Parents Regarding Idaho’s Parental Consent Legislation

Beginning July 1, 2024 a new Idaho state law relating to parental consent and medical records access became effective.  As of July 1, parents MUST provide consent for children under the age of 18 to receive medical care.  Here are a few things for parents to know.

Who does this law apply to?

This law applies to minor children, which means an individual under 18 years of age.  It does not apply to emancipated minors.

What health care services does this apply to?

This law applies to all health care services defined as any service for the diagnosis, screening, examination, prevention, treatment, cure, care, or relief of any physical or mental health condition, illness, injury, defect, or disease.

Who can give consent for a child to receive care?

Consent for a minor’s health care services must be given by a biological or adoptive parent, or an individual who has been granted exclusive right and authority over the welfare of a child under state law.

How does a parent give consent?

The parent can give written consent by completing the following forms:

1. Patient Consent gives our staff permission to provide your minor child care, share their health information and receive payment for the services provided. This form has been in use for many years and needs to be completed at each visit.  The parent should sign and date this form on the same day of the healthcare visit IF the parent does not want to provide a blanket consent for treatment AND the parent will not be accompanying their child to the healthcare visit.  A parent can access and download the form below:

2. Consent for Treatment: Unemancipated Minor (also known as a Blanket Consent). This is a new form that has been developed to ensure compliance with the new law.  It provides parents the opportunity to consent to, or decline, a variety of health care services for their child such as care for pregnancy, STI treatment, contraception, vaccinations, mental health, and substance abuse.  This proactive step can help facilitate uninterrupted care for your child.  This form also needs to be completed annually.  A parent can access and download the form below:

All forms are also available at Shoshone Medical Center.   Written consent can be submitted during your child’s appointment check-in or in advance. 

In extreme situations when giving written consent will not be possible in time to provide needed care, the health care provider can accept and document a verbal consent from the parent.

How often must a Parental Consent Form be completed?

At Shoshone Medical Center, a blanket consent form must be completed for each child annually.  A patient consent form must be completed at each visit absent a blanket consent.

How does the new law change parents’ access to their child’s health record?

Parents have the right to access health information held by health care providers or governmental entities for their children under the age of 18.  Previously, access could be limited after age 14.  Exceptions to this rule can apply if:

  • Access is prohibited by a court order.
  • The parent is the subject of a criminal investigation related to a crime committed against the child, and a law enforcement officer has requested that the information not be released.

If you have any questions, please contact:

SMC Privacy Manager

208-784-1221 ext. 340